- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup cottage cheese (if cottage cheese gives you the creeps, substitute Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
The egg whites are low in cholesterol and saturated fat, the cottage cheese adds calcium to your diet, and the rolled oats are full of fiber.
- ½ banana or a cup of berries
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter, fruit spread, Nutella (don’t overdo it), or another spread
- Place all of the ingredients (minus the toppings) into a blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth-ish.
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat with 2 Tbsp. oil or a nonstick spray.
- Measure out about ¼ cup of the pancake batter and place it on the frying pan. Once the mixture starts to bubble, turn the pancake over. When it’s cooked on both sides, move it to a covered dish to keep warm. Keep pancaking until the batter runs out.
- Stack up the pancakes and serve with sliced banana and almond butter on top—or whatever toppings work for you. Take your pics for Instagram, but don’t get so carried away with your artistry that your food gets cold.
Prepared and photographed by Joanna Carmona
Pancakes are a delicious way to start the day (or end the day) (or add an enjoyable diversion to any part of the day). Pancakes needn’t be all about the carbs. This easy, high-protein recipe uses whole foods, avoiding protein powder (which can be high in sugar and additives, and more expensive than actual food).
fourth-year graduate student, University of Victoria, British Columbia
“I try to eat as healthy as I can but that doesn’t always happen. This recipe seemed easy enough to make with very little prep. Plus it’s cost effective and tasty—and healthy (besides the chocolate chips I added). I’ll definitely be making these again!”
I had almost everything I needed already, but even so, this is a pretty inexpensive breakfast to make.
I was a little skeptical at first, but they were very good! Not too dense, super filling, and very flavorful due to the vanilla and cinnamon. I used Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese.